Mouth guards, also known as mouth protectors or gum shields, are dental devices specifically designed to cover and protect your teeth, gums, and surrounding oral structures. They act as a cushion against impact during physical activities or prevent damage caused by teeth grinding while you sleep.
These protective gears are typically made from durable materials such as silicone or thermoplastic that can withstand the forces of impact and provide a comfortable fit. Mouth guards come in various shapes and sizes to cater to different purposes, be they for sports-related activities like football, boxing or even non-contact sports like cycling and skateboarding.
Types of Mouth Guards
When it comes to protecting your teeth during physical activities, mouth guards are an essential piece of equipment. There are different types of mouth guards available, each serving a specific purpose.
- Stock Mouth Guards
These are pre-formed and ready to wear right out of the packaging. While they may provide some level of protection, stock mouth guards often don't offer a great fit as they cannot be adjusted to your specific bite.
- Boil-and-Bite Mouth Guards
This type of mouth guard can be customized by softening it in hot water and then biting into it to create an impression. Boil-and-bite mouth guards offer a better fit compared to stock ones but still lack the precision and comfort provided by custom-made options.
- Custom-Made Mouth Guards
Custom-made mouth guards are individually crafted by dental professionals for optimal comfort and effectiveness. They involve taking impressions or digital scans of your teeth to ensure a precise fit that allows for easy breathing and speaking while providing maximum protection.
- Specialized Mouth Guards
Certain sports or activities may require specialized mouth guards designed specifically for them. These include orthodontic models that accommodate braces, night guards for people who grind their teeth at night, or even snoreguards for those with sleep apnea issues.
It's important to choose the right type of mouth guard based on your needs and preferences, as well as recommendations from the dentist in Arcadia, CA, familiar with your sport/activity requirements.
Benefits of Wearing a Mouth Guard
When it comes to protecting your teeth, a mouth guard is an essential tool. Whether you participate in contact sports or grind your teeth at night, wearing a mouth guard can provide numerous benefits.
- First and foremost, a mouth guard acts as a cushion for your teeth, protecting them from traumatic blows during physical activities. It helps distribute the force of impact across the entire surface area of the mouth guard, reducing the risk of dental injuries such as broken or knocked-out teeth.
- Additionally, wearing a mouth guard can help prevent jaw fractures and dislocations. The cushioning effect provided by the mouth guard absorbs some of the shock that would otherwise be transferred to your jaw joint.
- For those who suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding), wearing a custom-fit nightguard can help alleviate symptoms. Creating a barrier between your upper and lower teeth reduces stress on the jaw joints and prevents wear and tear on tooth surfaces.
- Using a mouth guard while participating in sports can also reduce the likelihood of concussions. While not directly preventing concussions themselves, studies have shown that properly fitted mouth guards may help absorb some impact forces that could potentially lead to head injuries.
Don't wait until an injury happens—take action today! For the best dental care, visit Orthodontist in Arcadia CA or Orthodontist in Long Beach, CA - Dr. Nashed's office at 45 E Foothill Blvd, Arcadia, CA 91006. You may also call us at (626) 294-9119.