Oral surgery is a specialized branch of dentistry that involves surgical procedures to diagnose, treat, and correct oral health issues. It goes beyond routine dental care and focuses on more complex conditions that cannot be resolved through non-surgical methods alone.
Common Types of Oral Surgery Procedures
When it comes to oral surgery, there are several different procedures that may be necessary depending on the specific dental issue. These procedures are typically performed by our dentist in Arcadia, CA, who has received specialized training in this area.
One common type of oral surgery is tooth extraction. This procedure is often required when a tooth is damaged beyond repair due to decay or trauma. Wisdom teeth removal is another type of extraction that many people undergo, as these third molars often cause pain and other issues when they don't have enough space to properly emerge.
Another common procedure is dental implant placement. Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that are surgically placed into the jawbone to provide a strong foundation for replacement teeth. This can be an effective solution for individuals with missing teeth who want a long-term, natural-looking option.
We also perform corrective jaw surgery, also known as orthognathic surgery. This procedure aims to correct abnormalities in the jaw structure, such as misaligned jaws or uneven bites. It can improve both function and aesthetics while addressing issues like difficulty chewing or speaking.
One common procedure is a root canal. This is typically performed when the nerve inside a tooth becomes infected or damaged. During root canal therapy, the infected pulp is removed, and the tooth is cleaned and sealed to prevent further infection. While this procedure may sound daunting, modern techniques have made it much more comfortable for patients.
Gum grafting involves taking tissue from one area of your mouth and transplanting it to another area where gum recession has occurred. Gum grafting can help protect exposed tooth roots and improve both the appearance and function of your gums.
Benefits of Oral Surgery
- One of the key benefits of oral surgery is pain relief. If you have been living with chronic toothache or facial pain due to infected teeth or impacted wisdom teeth, oral surgery can provide long-lasting relief by removing the source of the problem.
- Another benefit is improved function and appearance. Missing teeth can affect your ability to speak clearly and chew properly. Oral surgeries like dental implants or dentures can restore your smile and make eating more enjoyable again.
- In addition to functionality, oral surgery also enhances aesthetics. Procedures like orthognathic surgery (corrective jaw surgery) can correct misaligned jaws, improving facial symmetry and boosting self-confidence.
- Oral surgeries not only address immediate issues but also prevent future problems from arising. For example, removing impacted wisdom teeth prevents overcrowding and potential infections down the line.
- Undergoing oral surgery often leads to improved overall health as well. By eliminating infection or disease in your mouth through procedures such as root canal therapy or gum grafting, you reduce the risk of systemic health issues linked to poor dental hygiene.
If you require oral surgery treatment to address a dental issue or improve your overall quality of life, don't hesitate to reach out to us. For the best dental care, visit Orthodontist in Arcadia CA or Orthodontist in Long Beach, CA - Dr. Nashed's office at 45 E Foothill Blvd, Arcadia, CA 91006. You may also call us at (626) 294-9119.